You may have thought I fell off the face of the earth…I didn’t.
You may have thought I ended up abducted by Jimmy Hoffa’s kidnappers…nope.
I’ve just been swirling in the drain of life’s busy-ness.
I have a gajillion projects going, but before I get to that, one quick order of business. I realize I left you hanging regarding the Bel Monili necklace giveaway.
The winner, Lori Laverty, was notified on the day the giveaway ended….it was the rest of you that I left hanging.
Sorry. And thanks to all who entered.
The first project I want to show you, this farmhouse cabinet, is huge. How huge? We’re talking heavier than an elephant, 2 goats, a lama, and a dozen mice all rolled into one. Yeah, that kind of huge.
It’s on its side because it was all rotted out on the bottom.
I wasn’t sure how I was going to fix it, but I knew it could be fixed. I just needed a few
nights, weeks, months to sleep on a solution.
I lined the inside with 2 x 4’s and screwed them all around the bottom.
I used my sawzall (is that how you spell it?) to cut off the nasty, rotted bits.
I added more 2 x 4’s, which you may or may not be able to see in this picture. I probably could have gotten away without doing the second set of 2 x 4’s, but I wanted to make sure this was a sturdy piece and I needed it for “door clearance.”
Dude, check out that cabinet!! (Say that in a Zach Braff voice from Scrubs!) And, because I was smart and used a level…it’s actually…well…level!!
See that gap at the bottom? That’s the second set of 2 x 4’s that I probably shouldn’t have added, as it put a gap between the bottom of the doors and the floor of the cabinet. However, I felt like if I didn’t add them, then the door wouldn’t have cleared the floor and wouldn’t have opened properly…..like at all. Kapish?
I think I’ll try and scrounge up a piece of old wood to put across that gap and some on the sides to make it look like it was always meant to be there. 🙂 Or maybe I could just keep the doors open, so you won’t notice it!
This only took me a few hours to do. Most of that time was spent running to Ace for an extension cord ‘cuz I couldn’t find the one I already owned. (I found it this weekend in my garden shed. Oy!) I also made a trip to my shop (The Backyard Bungalow) looking for my drill, which wasn’t there because it was in my basement, where I left it, trying to remove a bar. Yes, I have an actual BAR in my basement. (This is another project I’ll tell you about in a future post.)
Once I give this a good coat of white paint, it’s going somewhere in my house!
I had plans to sell this piece. In fact, I tried to sell it, via texted pictures, before it was repaired because I was starting to get pretty freaked out about all the projects in my driveway and one less project was sounding like a good idea. I’m really glad now those potential buyers passed!
Hey, one more thing! Check out my “throne” makeover at Inspiration Cafe! It’s part of the Furniture Fashionistas Series hosted by my bloggy friend, Danni Baird and others!
Now that I’ve gotten up off my duff and managed to write a new blog post, I realized something: duffs are uncomfortable. To that end, I’ll try to be more active here on the blog. Upcoming project posts include: an update on my basement re-do and the re-upholstering of a French-y couch. Stay tuned!
Bye from the bungalow,